Powered by IP2Location.com

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Fada ni Khichdi (Broken wheat Khichri) and Carrot and Beetroot salad

So what you do on weekends, well for me it is cooking and cleaning, I am sure most of you will agree with that. I am a stay at home mom with a 4 year old and 2 year old. I am always short of time. I consider myself as a well organized person but somehow fail with this time management thing. I think it is because of the kids routine, I am always on my toes.

So what did I do this weekend, well on saturday I made this one dish meal called Broken wheat Khichri (in gujarati we call it fada ni khichdi). And then made this colorful salad with carrots and beets. The broken wheat khichri I made with broken wheat ( also known here as cracked wheat and bulgur wheat though the later one is little fine in texture then the cracked or broken wheat.

I also used moon dal with that and I used lots of vegetables, like potatoes, green peas and carrots, to make it a one dish meal. This is a gujarati dish and my mom use to make it real good, I have tried to follow her recipe. We normally eat this with yogurt, but some people prefer it with raita or kadhi.

This recipe makes approx. 4 servings

Ingredients


1 cup split yellow moong dal
3/4 cup broken wheat (fada)
1 cup potatoes, diced
1 cup green peas
1 cup carrots diced

1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon haldi
1 teaspoon chilli powder
salt to taste


For the tempering



1 stick cinnamon
3 cloves
1 teaspoon jeera
1/2 teaspoon hing
1 tablespoon ghee

Method
Wash and soak the moong dal and broken wheat for at least 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add the cinnamon, cloves, jeera and asafoetida and stirring for 30 seconds.
Add the dal and bulgur wheat together with all the other ingredients and stir for 4 to 5 minutes.
Add 4 cups water and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
Stir the khichri so everything is incorporated well, Serve hot with yogurt.



The Carrot and Beet salad recipe



I just love this salad not just because of the color but for the taste also and it is so simple to make.








3 carrots peeled and shredded
3 medium beets peeled and shredded (if you don't like the raw taste you can parboil the beets and then shred)
handful of scallions/green onions
3 tbsp lemon or lime juice
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Cracked black pepper



In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, sugar, salt and olive oil. Season with pepper. Place beets, carrots and scallions in a serving bowl, pour dressing over salad, toss to combine. You can adjust the taste accordingly with more sugar, or black pepper or lemon juice.
I some time try to bring variation in this salad by adding chopped apple and raisins and for seasoning I add jeera powder and red chili powder for a slight different taste.
Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

TNL said...

lovely recipes....I agree, that with 2 kids it's hard to do much...

I am making Fada ni khichdi today for dinner...will post my version soon, I like your version with moong daal and veggies.

trupti