Powered by IP2Location.com

Friday, August 17, 2007

Poori with Moong


This is my entry for Poori-party originated by Anita of A Mad Tea party.


It was really impossible for me to post anything this week due to my son's summer class schedule.
But when I saw my all fellow blogger so heavily inclined on making pooris. I thought I can post something with ease, as pooris are not big deal for me. Thanks to my Mom. She started teaching me how to make pooris when I was 10 yrs old. Though sometimes I do get flat pancakey pooris. But still I manage to have 99% puffed pooris.
Soft or hard dough and adding semolina is pure preference thing, but the temperature at which you fry the pooris is of utmost importance. The oil should be heated till smoking hot and then again bringing it down to a temperature where pooris puff but doesn't get burned. If the oil is not hot enough, chances are the pooris won't puff.

So here it is the Jain Gujarati breakfast " Pooris with Moong"

For the pooris:

1 cup whole wheat flour
salt to taste
1 tsp oil
water for kneading the dough
oil for frying
adding semolina to flour again is your own choice
I did not add semolina to the flour





Make a dough of your preferred consistency by mixing flour, salt, 1 tsp oil and water.
Leave it aside for 15 minutes.
Now make small balls out of the dough and roll them in small poori shape.
Heat oil and fry the pooris till they are light golden brown.


For the Moong:

1 cup whole moong (green gram, mung beans) soaked in water for 2 hours
salt to taste
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
hing a pinch
1/4 tsp haldi
1/2 tsp dhania jeera powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp oil


Pressure cook whole moong with salt in pressure cooker. (about 3-4 whistles).

Now heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, once it pops add hing and haldi powder, and then add the pressure cooked moong and little water, then add dhania jeera powder and chili powder.

Simmer till everything is mixed well, adjust salt and seasonings, add water if the moong is too dry. Squeeze some lemon juice on moong and serve hot with pooris.

4 comments:

bee said...

that is 100% true. we realised while making our second batch of puris that the temperature and not thickness is key.

TBC said...

Beautiful looking pooris! And you get that 99% of the time? lucky you!
yeah, what you say about the temperature is very true.It IS the most important factor in the poori-puffing process

Cynthia said...

What beautiful poori(s)

Aruna said...

Beautiful pooris....!!!

themistressofspices.wordpress.com